Downloadable eBooks & NC LIVE
Currently NC LIVE offers eBook content from the following providers:
- eBooks on EBSCOhost (24,600 titles): includes titles in Literature, Technology, Career & Self Help, how-to books, and more.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (25 titles): reference books and encyclopedias in Religion, History, Philosophy, and more.
- ABC-CLIO (200 titles): includes titles in History, Literature, and more.
- MyiLibrary eBooks (370 titles): includes titles in History, the Social Sciences, Criminal Justice, and more.
- Learning Express Library (194 titles): ebooks on career development topics, test prep, and personal development.
- Open Library: NC LIVE has partnered with the Open Library to offer access to over 200,000 books published between 1924 and 1999. These eBooks cover many subjuects and include fiction, young adult, and children's titles.
You can download many of the eBooks in the MyiLibrary eBook Collection or the Open Library Collection. These titles can be downloaded to ePub-compatible devices such as the Nook, Sony Reader, iPad, Android devices, and others. In addition, you can download many of the eBooks in the eBooks on EBSCOhost Collection to an ePub-compatible device if your library has set up this function. Contact your library to find out if this option is available.
What about the Kindle?
The Kindle is not currently supported by any NC LIVE eBook Collections. Please check with your library to see if they purchase eBooks that are compatible with the Kindle.
There are step-by-step directions available for each collection that allows for downloading:
All of the downloadable eBooks require you to install software called Adobe Digital Editions. This software is free to download.
|Vendor||Downloadable?||Format||# of Eligible Books||Title List|
|eBooks on EBSCOhost||Yes, but your library must subscribe to the downloading service.||Protected PDF||2,579 / 24,600||EBSCO ebooks|
|MyiLibrary||Yes||ePub||111 /370||MyiLibrary eBooks|
|Open Library||Yes||ePub||200,000 +||Search Open Library|
All of our eBook collections allow you to read the books on your computer screen instantly, with no downloading or software needed.
Please check with your local library, as they may purchase downloable titles from other services not related to NC LIVE.
In addition, here is a sample of other services available on the web:
- ePubBooks hundreds of free titles in the public domain or purchase contemporary fiction.
- Google Books has more than 500,000 free public domain titles in the ePub format.
- Project Gutenberg has over 30,000 titles - they are all free public domain titles.
- Ebook Center has a smaller collection with 1,400 free public domain titles.